As per the report of the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), approximately 20.4% of adults in the USA are suffering from chronic pain. Moreover, about 7.4% of people have high impact pain that restricts them from doing certain work activities.
This condition can get severe if it’s not treated timely. However, before you seek any treatment, you need to learn about its symptoms.
Symptoms Of Chronic Pain
This condition impacts the patient both physically as well as mentally. Plus, high levels of stress can worsen the condition. Therefore, you must pay attention to the following signs and get treated.
- Joint Pain
- Muscle Aches
- Sleeping Problems
- Intense Pain
- Mood Swings
- Loss of stamina and flexibility
If you or any of your loved ones are dealing with these symptoms, you must immediately book an appointment with the doctor.
The treatment options generally vary from person to person according to their condition. So, you must visit your doctor and discuss the symptoms. This way, the doctor will help identify the primary cause of pain and create a comprehensive treatment plan accordingly.
Ideally, OTC (Over-the-counter) and prescription medicines are used to remove the pain. However, if the condition is severe, interventional pain management treatment is used. In simple terms, it is a comprehensive and customized plan that includes physical medicine, therapy, acupuncture, and sports medicine treatment.
Each plan is designed according to the severity and requirements of the patient. The goal of this treatment is to relieve and reduce the pain. In addition to this, the plan is created to improve the patient’s quality of life. Thus, many people get effective results.
- OTC medications: If you have mild and short-term pain, you can take OTC pain relievers, namely, aspirin, Ibuprofen, and naproxen. These can help in reducing inflammation and swelling. However, consuming OTC medications for the long term might lead to severe side effects. Therefore, it is better to consult your doctor before using them.
- Alternative therapies: According to the American Chronic Pain Association (ACPA), alternative therapies can help in reducing the pain and also reduces the need for medication. In fact, doctors also include alternative therapies in interventional pain management procedures. These generally include:
- Cognitive therapies,
- Behavioral therapies,
- Physical therapies
It will help in improving your physical as well as mental health. Thus, the pain can be mitigated to a great extent. Plus, less stress will also encourage you to live happily.
What To Expect In Your First Visit To Doctor?
Generally, the medical doctors and physical medicine staff work together to create a treatment plan for you. You have to tell them your symptoms and details about any medical history such as an accident or injury.
Besides that, the doctor will:
- Perform a series of tests and X-rays.
- Make an initial diagnosis of the issue.
- Recommend your treatment plans.
- In case you are using your insurance, the staff might contact the insurance company about the coverage.
Overall your experience on the visit will be painless!
The issues of chronic pain are very common. However, it is essential that you do not neglect its symptoms and visit your doctor immediately to get its treatment.
The post Chronic Pain: What Are The Treatment Options Available To You? appeared first on Wellbeing Magazine.